One of the most valuable benefits of Inspire Christian Writers is the critique group. It is the heart and soul of Inspire because it allows each writer to develop their writing skill via the sharp pencil and keen eye of fellow writers in the group.
Inspire Christian Writers critique model works like this:
1. Manuscripts are submitted several days ahead to all writers meeting at our preferred critique location (check the critique calendar for groups meeting in your area).
2. Each writer provides a thorough and thoughtful critique of submitted manuscripts using Track Changes in Word or making hand-written notes on the manuscript.
3. In addition to getting the written inputs, critiques are verbally delivered at the meeting.
What a pleasure it is to help a fellow writer tweak their manuscript, learn more about the nuance of point of view (POV), tighten up the wording, provide clarity to a confusing passage, and catch the nuisance typos and wrong words. Overall giving a manuscript a fresh look.
After a critique group, I gather the copies of my marked-up manuscript and carry them home like treasures. Yes… that’s right… treasures. Treasures that help me be a better writer. Attending weekly critiques has greatly improved my writing skills. I have gained improvement by the following:
- My own work being reviewed
- My critiques of other’s work
- Listening to others critique a manuscript
- Reading the work of other writers
So if you write, I recommend you get thyself to a critique group post haste. Then watch your writing soar. You’ll soon experience the treasures too.