You know when you’re reading a book and it’s so good you want to tell all your friends about it? That’s what happened to me while reading The Unbreakable Boy. But because so many of my friends are writers, I wanted to tell you all about Susy Flory, the co-author who helped bring this story to life. So sit back and sip your tea (or coffee, if you must) and enjoy the conversation between me and Susy. It’ll answer some of your questions about collaborative writing and give you some insights into the LeRettes and their story.
The Unbreakable Boy takes you into a family that faced multiplied challenges with tenacity, hope and humor. As you read it, you’ll fall in love with Austin who has brittle bone disease and autism. He’s a delightful person who looks at the world with wonder and tremendous joy–even in the midst of great difficulty. His health concerns provide the pressure that caused them to forge deep bonds. Bonds than enable them to not only survive–but thrive! You’ll also get to know Austin’s dad, Scott, and will likely relate to his daily need to let go of his own agenda in order to become the husband and father his family desperately needs. I found myself cheering with each surrender-infused victory.
Here are some of the questions we covered. I’m sure you’ll have some of your own. You can leave them in the comments and Susy will respond.
1. You write about fascinating people with very interesting stories. What kinds of stories stir your passion and make you want to write them?
2. How do you find these stories?
3. Would you explain the difference between ghost-writing and co-authoring?
4. How did you get started writing in this genre?
5. What attracted you to the LeRettes and their story?
6. What was the most fascinating part of working on The Unbreakable Boy?
7. How do you determine if a story is big enough to warrant writing an entire book? What do you look for?
8. What advice do you have for writers who think they’d like to write other peoples’ stories? What steps could they take to get started?
Now it’s your turn. Leave a comment or question for Susy and you’ll be entered to win a free copy of The Unbreakable Boy: A Father’s Fear, a Son’s Courage, and a Story of Unconditional Love. We’ll announce a winner Tuesday at 1pm PDT.