While serving in the Navy, aboard an aircraft carrrier in the Persian Gulf, Michael Russo received a letter from a stranger. That letter was the beginning of a lifelong friendship and the catalyst for his debut novel, Everlene’s Sky.
I interviewed Michael about his friendship with Everlene and the book he just launched, a novelization of her life story.
Here are some of the questions I posed to Michael:
- Tell me about the first time Everlene made contact with you.
- What propelled you to write back to her?
- How did her correspondence impact you.
- At what point did you start thinking, “Hey, this would make a great book”?
- And when did you start writing it?
- Prior to this, had you written for publication?
- Describe your writing process.
- How involved was Everlene in the process?
- The title, Everlene’s Sky, comes from a quote from Everlene. Can you share that quote and why you used it for your book title?
- Describe your publishing process.
- How has the book been received so far?
- What are you doing to help promote Everlene’s Sky?
- What would you say to someone who’s in that place where you were–they have an interesting book idea and are at the beginning of the writing and publishing process. What have you learned that you can pass along?
Be sure to watch the 700 Club segment about Everlene Brewer and her unique ministry to U.S. service men and women.