Goals of the Anthology:
- To emulate the processes of the publishing world, providing an authentic experience for Inspire Members in which to practice submitting work.
- To provide an opportunity for a potential publishing credit for our members.
- To bless and encourage our members and the Anthology readers.
- No non-member entries
- The Anthology is for members in good standing only. No non-member entries will be allowed. (This includes non-member students and children)
- All entries must go through online submission channels.
- Submission does not guarantee inclusion, even if previous submissions have resulted in inclusion.
- Multiple submissions, up to a maximum of three per anthology, will be judged individually.
- All entries must adhere to submission guidelines or they will be rejected.
- It is up to the submitter to figure out their error, make the adjustments needed to comply, and resubmit.
- Entries requiring more than a few basic copy-edits will be rejected and the submitter will be invited to have the piece edited and re-submit before the closing date for submissions. (Note: There are wonderful editors, available at an Inspire-only rate in the Professional Services Directory on our website.)
- Entries requiring any substantive edits will be rejected and the submitter will be encouraged to rework the piece and re-submit before the closing date for submissions.
- All work must be the original work of the submitter.
- Please note: Editors will no longer be “coaching” or heavily editing any writer’s work.
- All entries must adhere to Inspire’s general remit as well as the specific Anthology’s theme and guidelines.
- Use 1-inch margins.
- Left justify your document.
- Double-space your submission.
- Set paragraph indent at 0.5 inches. No tabs or spaces. If you’re not sure how to do this, here’s a video that demonstrates how to tab (Don’t do this) and how to set the paragraph indent. (Do this!).
- Use Headers and Footer for author name/title and page numbers.
- Center Title and page numbers.
- Do not include extra spaces before or after paragraphs.
- Use only one space at the end of a sentence and between words.
- Use Times New Roman or Calibri in 12-point font for all text, including Titles and Headings.
- Create Titles & Headings in Headline Capitalization (No Bold or ALL CAPS.)
- Begin a new paragraph for each speaker change in dialogue.
- Begin each chapter on a new page.
- Use: * * * when you want time, POV, topic, or other breaks within a chapter.
- Place the *** in the center of a line with a blank line above and below.
- Italicize Scripture (with reference and version in parenthesizes).
- Italicize thought, imagined dialogue, prayer, and other interior discourse.
- Italicize sounds. Crack. The tree limb fell. “Umm, I hope you have insurance, mister.”
- Capitalize all pronouns for God: His, He, Him, You, Your, etc.
- When referring to God’s Word, capitalize Word and Scripture.
- Capitalize Heaven and Hell when referring to the actual places.
- When using em—dashes, do not add spaces before or after.
- Use … for faltering speech and — for interrupted speech (“I…I don’t know…what you mean.”) (“Would you—”).
- Place quotation marks outside of final punctuation in dialogue.
- For quotes within quotes, use full quotes to begin and end, single quotes on the internal quote.
- Use s after the apostrophe for words and names ending in s. i.e.: James’s, boss’s.
- Include a comma before the conjunction in a series. (We bought milk, juice, fruit, and cereal.)
- Fiction: Spell out numbers other than years (It would occur on June fifth. / In the year 1492 Christopher…).
- Non-fiction: depends on the materials covered. The more technical the more digits are used.
Consideration for inclusion in our anthologies is a benefit of membership in Inspire. Only Inspire members may submit their articles for consideration. If you are not a member, why not join today? See the full list of Inspire membership benefits on our website.
If you have any questions about these guidelines, please email email@example.com or select the “Anthology/Inspire Press” option on our Contact form.